Heating Assistance

Fuel Assistance
(Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program, HEAP or LiHEAP), provides heating assistance to income eligible households in Cumberland County to pay for a portion of their annual heating expenses.  The assistance is not intended to pay for all annual heating expenses. The program provides a one-time per season direct payment to heat vendors for homes heated with oil, kerosene, coal, pellets, wood, LP gas or electricity. In some instances when the household's heat is included in the monthly rent, your payment may go to your power bill or if all utilities are included in your rent, it may be sent to the eligible head of household.

Applications are taken by appointment from August to April.  For more information or to make an appointment, please call the phone numbers listed below, or email us at heatingassistance@opportunityalliance.org.

When you come to your appointment, you will need the following:

  1. Social Security cards and dates of birth for all household members.
  2. Your most recent electric bill, and (if you pay) most recent Portland water bill.
  3. A copy of your fuel bill with name and account number and delivery address
  4. If you own your home, we will need a copy of your tax bill and proof of your mortgage, if you pay one.
  5. Proof of all gross income for all household members over 18 for the previous 3 or 12 months of the month you are applying
  6. Proof of all Social Security, pension, retirements, interest income and child support for the same time frame as your gross income.
  7. If renting, the landlord's name, street address, phone number and a copy of a current the lease agreement.
  8. A copy of Divorce Decree or Parental Rights Agreement will be needed to show proof of primary residency for minor children

We can schedule an appointment near you at one of our many locations, including Casco, Standish, Brunswick, Westbrook, Portland, Harpswell, South Portland, and Freeport.

For more information or to set up an appointment, call:
553-5900, 553-5800

or email us at:


Latest News
May 18, 2017: PUBLIC NOTICE

The Opportunity Alliance, a community action agency, is seeking volunteers to join Committees, the Board of Directors, and other opportunities... MORE

May 9, 2017: Volunteers and Community Partners Honored at Barn Raising

Volunteers and Community Partners Honored at Barn Raising; Three Awards to be Presented at Annual Fund... MORE