Housing and Energy Services

The Department of Housing and Energy Services provides loans and grants for home repair, weatherization, fuel assistance, utility assistance, repair of heating systems and other like programs.

Heating Assistance

Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LiHEAP) – For homeowners or renters who have high heating bills in relation to their income. LIHEAP benefits households by making a supplemental payment on their behalf directly to their fuel vendor, whether the fuel is oil, electricity, coal, gas, or wood. LIHEAP does not provide funds to heat a home for the entire winter. The program also provides assistance with utility expenses such as electric bills and water bills.


Must be a certified LIHEAP eligible household to qualify. The Weatherization Program provides a home energy audit, attic and wall insulation, and other energy-saving measures that reduce home heating costs. Priority is given to households with elderly or disabled members and to families with children under 24 months.


Central Heating Improvement Program (CHIP) – This program provides grant funds to repair or replace malfunctioning heating systems. Priority is given to those households that have no heat during the winter heating season. In order to qualify, a person must first apply for LIHEAP fuel assistance and be certified as income eligible. CHIP funds can also be used to repair or replace fuel oil storage tanks and chimney liners.

Home Repair

Home Repair Program – provides zero interest deferred, forgivable loans and grants to finance repairs for income eligible homeowners. Eligible repairs include roofs, heating systems, windows, electrical, chimneys, septic systems and other repairs.

Application for Home Repair for Residents of Cumberland County (excluding Portland, Brunswick, and Frye Island) 

Rental Housing & Affordable Housing

For information on income-based housing, please call AVESTA Housing at 207-553-7780.